As fashion week NYC drew to a close I was ecstatic to see that the Plus Size industry was so well represented. Sonsi.com, Lane Bryant, Kmart, among others highlighted the plus-size revolution that is currently taking place in fashion. Finally the fashion industry is taking a visible stand to prove that curvy women are equally as beautiful and as fashionable as their size two counterparts with a plus-size runway shows coinciding with the high-fashion shows. The fashion couldn’t be more fabulous.
After viewing a number of the shows, and picking apart some of the more noticeable collections I found the following to be most desirable. Here are some faves.
Retro Sophistication-Classic Mami
This season celebrates the femininity of a woman’s curvy curves of the late 50’s into the early 60’s. Sheaths, full circle skirts, shorter hemlines, paired with heavy wools, leathers, and tulle; this era celebrates the return of the sophisticated lady.
To step back into lady-like sophistication, here is how to fashion this look:
– Bustier tops and dresses amp up the sex kitten of this era
– A return of the kitten heel for subtle sophistication
– Full skirts return with shorter hemlines
– Sheath dresses and pencil skirts accentuating on the curves of the womanly shape
– Fitted turtlenecks and blouses contrasting the voluminous skirts
Maxi sophistication – The Bohemian Mami
For the bohemian at heart, you want to glide down the street looking airy, independent, sensual and playful. Look for pieces that are ’70s inspired. You want your outfits to have an understated sex appeal, clean lines, and flowing fabrics.
Here is how to wear this look:
– Playful metallic (think all that glitters and shimmers) fabrics strategically draped or fitted across your sexy mami-curves
– Silk blouses and dresses with billowed sleeves and/or bows
– Beautiful pieces in sumptuous silk, seductive satin, or wool.
– Layered turtlenecks and ruffled blouses, not overdone, however.
– Voluminous trousers emphasizing the waistline
Military Sophistication-Tough-As-Nails Mami
Continuing Spring’s military influence, this trend evolves into softer, more subtle lines into Fall. With olive and navy tones and shearling accents, this season’s military direction is found in key elements and found more literal in the aviator influence.
Drawing from a masculine feel, here are key elements to pulling off this look:
– Chic menswear inspirations vamp up the sex appeal with pantsuits and tuxedo jackets
– Jumpsuits continue into fall with a tougher edge
– Roomy cargo pants or the tailored and fitted skinny pants in hues of camel and olive
– Casual and evening looks in various shades of olive-green, camel, and navy
– A minimalistic approach to military jackets and leather bomber jackets trimmed in either shearling or fur (both faux and real if you are so inclined)
In addition to these faves, there are eleven key looks that you will find prevalent throughout the latest Fall fashions.
Whether casual cool or sophisticated chic, these are pieces to update your look with:
– Minimalistic Hues
– Animal prints
– Camel & Pea Coats
– Leather jeggings (I love these)
– Everything Leather
– Fur (faux for animal lovers) and Shearling Coats and Accents
– Sheer details
– Knee High Mami-Boots
– More boots boots boots!!! Heel doesn’t matter
– A regal approach to Velvet
– Sophisticated Capes
I know what I’ll be wearing the next couple of months.
What are some of your favorite trends? What styles can you NOT simply live without and are classics in your closet no matter what the season?